Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classes and Races

Classes and Races

Right now we're going to say for sure, the old Races will be implemented into Yserbius 2. This includes, but is not limited to:

Elf, Human, Halfing, Dwarf, Gnome, Troll, Gremlin and Orc

What are your thoughts on these races? Should we have them have sub-races? For example, Elf could have a Sub-Race of Half-Elf, or Tree Elf, ect. What, if any significance should race or sub-race play?

What about Classes? What Classes would you like to see? The original few such as Knight, Barb, Thief, Mage or Cleric? Should those be the major types, with archetypes such as Knight can become a Dark Knight with each evil deed? Let us know what you think.
    "If the earth were flesh, then it would bleed our blood." -Tiger
    TigerForce.net

The classic races should be there, definetely, but I do think we should add a few more, even if we're hard-pressed to figure out stats for them, or racial traits in-game. It's The Return after all, it should have more stuff :P

And yes, I know more /= better . I still think we need half-elves, Ents, etc :P

I would keep this races the way they are (that about covers everything) and if you're going to make any changes on the races, maybe cover half-breeds (half human, half elf, etc). I think we should add another class or two, but I'm not sure what we could add...hmmmmm...have to think about it.

Races look good but...Gremlin? Bah! I'd rather see troglodytes or another lizard type playable race.

Sub-races would really start to complicate things. Remember the developers words to live be...K.I.S.S.

-Meph

I'm not too keen on the gremlin race. Maybe use it for GM's only?

Here's a "Classic" Yserbius lizard-type race... Coelus... I was so envious of thier tongue action :P

Quote Originally Posted by Navic
    Here's a "Classic" Yserbius lizard-type race... Coelus... I was so envious of thier tongue action :P
    ROFL!!

-Meph

I would say stick with the old races as well, the amount we had in old YS gave you some choice, but also gave you not too many to play them all

Re: Classes and Races

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Elf, Human, Halfing, Dwarf, Gnome, Troll, Gremlin
    Ya forgot the bloody Orc's! I say dump the Gremlins. Maybe make Barbarian a player race rather then class.

Yserbius classes; Barbarian (Or Warrior), Knight, Ranger, Thief, Cleric and Wizard.

Navic's proposal: Add Bard's and Druid's. It seems those two classes complete the character class spectrum... fill in the gaps... or whatever...
    Warrior<->Ranger<->Thief<->Bard<->Wizard<->Druid<->Cleric<->Paladin<-> back to Warrior.

Just my 2 copper!

The original eight races (grouped by 'first cousins', as in the manual) were:

Humans and Orcs
    Elves and Trolls
    Dwarves and Gnomes
    Halflings and Gremlins

Obviously, these are four traditionally 'good' races, and four traditionally 'evil' races (gnomes are similar to goblins in some mythos).

But, oh my goodness, can you imagine doing the equipment models for all eight of these races? You would have to do 16 models for every piece of armor (8 races x 2 genders). The amount of extra work entailed by puting in 8 races would be staggering.

Ok, I've been trying to stay out of these discussion for professional reasons... But I Gotta ask...

Should we change Gnomes into Goblins then?

To me, Gnomes are Halflings anyway... (Alignment wise)

Personally, I think we should stick with the main eight, but add sub Races (Half-Elf, High Elf, Tree Elf, ect.).

What are your thoughts on this?
    "If the earth were flesh, then it would bleed our blood." -Tiger
    TigerForce.net